Thursday, August 2, 2012

How to fix a swimming pool automatic water fill


How to fix a swimming pool automatic water fill
This guide will cover how to find and identify your built-in swimming pool’s automatic water fill. written by www.WCPandS.com. Also included is adjusting them to set the water level and how to replace one since these occasionally break and need replacement or repairs.

How to find your automatic water fill water shutoff valve
If the automatic water fill breaks, it can run continually and overfill the pool (and then flood the yard) so it will need to be shut off.  To do any work on the water fill, it will first need to be turned off. There is no industry standard on where to put the shut off valve or what it will even look like. It can be near the pool equipment, at the house (where the backyard hose connects), or somewhere else in the backyard (i.e. in bushes or grass).
Below are a few examples of automatic water fill shutoff valves. (Click on any image to see a larger version)




Finding your automatic water fill device
These are generally found on the pool deck near the deck edge with a skimmer lid top.
It may be held in place with screws that will need to be first removed to open the lid.

Three types of built-in automatic water fills
Pentair Autofill (the leaver):

The most common type, this is a float connected to an adjustable leaver. These leavers are screwed into the side of the water fill cubby. A nice aspect of this model is that there is a large variety of easy to find  third party replacement leavers and floats available for this unit.

To adjust, loosen the wing-nut. This allows the float to be raised or lowered. The higher the float, the higher the water level of the pool will be; the lower the float, the lower the water level of the pool.

The Poolmiser:
(From the Poolmiser website)

The second most common, this one has a moveable float that sits around a center pipe. These are screwed to the bottom of the water fill cubby. Because of the limited space, the top may need to be removed to turn the center shaft without rotating the float when replacing one of these. See the included instructions for more information on installing a replacement Poolmiser.
To adjust, turn the top screw left to raise the float (raise the water level) and turn right to lower the float (lower the water level).


Paramount Paralevel:
(From the Paramount website)

Unfortunately, I have never worked with or seen one of these installed so I am unable to provide comments.

Replacing the automatic water fill (Pentair Autofill)


Note: This side connecting water fill needs to be placed with the water faucet side down.

Unscrew the existing broken leaver at the base near the wall in a counter clockwise direction with either a crescent wrench or pliers.

On the new replacement leaver, use a thread tape or thread paste on the exposed thread of the water fill.

Screw in the entire piece clockwise hand tight. Using a crescent wrench or pliers, align this water fill so the faucet side is down.

The water fill level can also now be set. There is an adjusting wingnut on the side of the leaver that can be loosened to allow the float to be moved up and down. The lower the float, the lower the water level of the pool.

Once the level is set, turn the automatic water fill shutoff valve back on.

Replace the top of the water fill cover.

To see additional pictures see a small post here

42 comments:

  1. I like those info on your blog about the functions of a pool equipment. But before I read your blog, I don't know how to use some of my pool equipment and accidentally I broke some of it. Then it cause a leaks on my swimming pool. Do you have an idea on how to fix my problem on my pool equipment?

    Pool Equipment Repair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a fault in my pool auto filler? If I put my ear down above the pool auto filler (plastic man cover is removed and PVC auto filler hardware is below) to listen, when it appears no water is flowing (no ripples or bubbles visible), I hear a constant pressure noise , is that normal? Additionally, at the same time, water will constantly drip from the side of the concrete adjacent the pool auto filler? When I turn the main (into) water system valve off, both phenomenons stop.

      Delete
  2. I dont know how to use some of the pool supplies I got in long island, and I was wondering if you could post a blog about that..

    ReplyDelete
  3. maintaining swimming pool is not an easy task. pool owner needed various pool equipment to maintain it. your article help to understand how to handle pool equipment. thanks for sharing good information. some of the best pool equipments are k chlor pool chlorinator, onga pool pump, pentair intelliflo pump, ozone generator..etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does anyone know about how often the auto-fill will stop working and needs to be replaced? This is the second time in less than 18 months my pool guy says it needs to be replaced, I think I am getting screwed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally they should last 3-5 years. Maybe ask your pool guy to show you the old one and the new together so you can see what has happen. If it really is going out that quickly maybe the auto fill is being damaged by the water chemistry (alkalinity to low or high, hard water damage ect)

      Delete
  5. I have used this article numerous times and I think it is about time for me to say 'Thank You!', for writing such a great piece! :)

    David | Pool Supplies Long Island

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing this information! I have been looking into pool supplies in long island to fix my pool. I didn't know there were so many options. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog has been so helpful to me in the past. Thank you for all of your hard work! :)

    David | Swimming Pool Supplies Northbrook, IL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really helpful thank you for sharing. I was staying at my parents and luckily i was able to buy all the pool supplies in East Northport, NY. I fixed the pool up right away, summer has been so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this informative post regarding the automatic water shut off valve . I couldn't find our valve and we needed to close off the water as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully be reading this my husband will be able to get out pool fixed again. It is starting to get hot and I would love to start using it again. We love our pool parties we have.

    Alena | http://www.kriscoaquatechpools.com/services.htm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice. Informative. Helped me find my auto-fill. As a new pool owner Im finding about a 4:1 ratio of maintenance to enjoyment. At least its not 10:1 like being a Jag owner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just built a pool in my backyard and I want to keep it maintained and in good shape! Where can I get pool supplies? Things to keep it clean and things that are just good to have?
    Holly James | http://www.ozwestonlinepoolshop.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that I am having trouble with the automatic water fill shut off valve I saw in one of the above pictures. As of now I just can't seem to do much of anything with my pool because it won't increase the water level. I don't know if it is a sensor problem or what, but I would like to fix it sooner than later.
    Cynthia | http://www.paradise-poolservice.com/services.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just recently got a new swimming pool. The only thing that I need now is some awesome pool supplies! I don't really have any right now. I definitely need to get some. As soon as possible. http://www.checkerpoolsupply.com/Products/

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's really helpful to know how to fix something like this. It seems like it's a pretty common issues with pools. I just had one installed in my yard this last week and we're getting it ready for the first swim. I want to make sure I have all the supplies I need to maintain and repair the pool if I need to. http://www.kriscoaquatechpools.com/services.htm

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice Post! Thanks again for sharing these types of post.

    how to fix concrete
    cement decks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful post with much helpful information. Fixing automatic water fill is not possible for me until I came to know about it. Thanks for sharing with us. I recommend people poolfilters.biz a leading online store of high-quality pool accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Does anyone know a pool repair company in Haiti?
    repair

    ReplyDelete
  19. i need new lid for automatic waterfil it measured 9 7/8' top, and the bottom flange is about 8' what is part # for the lid I need?

    ReplyDelete
  20. this content is awesome as always, im a daily reader of your blogs,thanks for sharing these nice articles with us, they are helpful in all ways, keep on sharing,
    cleaning service dubai

    ReplyDelete
  21. My husband and i have been really thrilled that Louis managed to complete his researching via the ideas he discovered out of the blog. It is now and again perplexing to simply be giving for free facts which usually most people have been selling. We know we've got you to give thanks to for this. All the explanations you've made, the simple website navigation, the friendships you can assist to foster - it's got all astounding, and it's letting our son and us imagine that this article is interesting, which is certainly wonderfully essential. Many thanks for all! Pool cleaning Orlando

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is cool post :) This helped me to understand how to fix water pool filler but still confused which types of water pool filler should I buy. See this post : Best Auto pool filler and tell me should I buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Does the in pool filler need electricity to run?

    ReplyDelete
  24. What about the electrical sensors (ie conducting probes,..)? Are they rare?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Despite how you would aim to keep swimming cleanse, you actually just need to continue to persist with cleaning up them. That is definitely the obsessive-compulsive tidier around people communicating, nonetheless seriously, all of our warm can never often be cleanse more than enough. check

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing this idea of fixing swimming pool automatic water fill. Keep sharing more helpful post like this.

    aqua swimming pool supplies Lancaster, PA

    ReplyDelete
  27. For many people this is important, so check out my profile: Rundpools

    ReplyDelete
  28. If the canister itself broke do you have to bust into the concrete to replace it? Or is there another way? We are being quoted $1400 to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. At the same time, aggregate finishes bring a colorful shimmer to concrete swimming pools. Don't overlook this versatile list of exciting upgrades when considering a swimming pool renovation. Upgrade your pool with each of these up-to-date amenities and you may never have to renovate your swimming pool again. Rundpools

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really appreciate the efforts you put in this article, this is very informative and helpful. I really enjoyed reading this blog. Keep sharing and give us updates.

    swimming pool cleaners Lancaster County, PA

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great Post! Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. Please keep sharing.

    Please visit Florida Pools Pros

    ReplyDelete
  32. This article is one of the best in the history of articles. I'm a antique 'Article' collector and I sometimes read them interesting Swimming Pool Installation

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for sharing such informative content. Top class pool chemicals and accessories provider offers 100% tested pool safety equipment and pool repair services in Lancaster County, PA.
    hot tub covers Lancaster County, PA

    ReplyDelete
  34. Keep sharing such updates. High and low weight engineered package boiler supplier offers low cost high and low weight steam boilers. Put in your request online for a high and low weight steam boiler.
    swimming pool heaters Lancaster County, PA

    ReplyDelete
  35. Types of Pool Tiles: There are various types of pool tile available in the market, including ceramic, porcelain, glass, and natural stone tiles. Each type offers unique characteristics in terms of durability, color options, and texture.

    ReplyDelete